Insights on dream of being witnesses
by Ivan Ho 25 Mar 2023
When I woke up from the dream , I did not fully understand its meaning until I was led to the attention of a Bible passage the following day:
Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it; That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word, That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
Ephesians 5:25-27 KJV
I believe the dream has bi-fold meanings: first, on a personal level and second, on the level of the church, just as in the above scripture, the relationship between husband and wife is likened to the relationship between Christ and His church.
1. The girl in the dream seated on the sofa is full of speckles even though in real life, she doesn’t have any spots on her face at all.
I believe it is a picture of the present day church which is still full of spots ie full of blemishes that need to be cleansed. Christ is in the process of sanctifying His church until His return when He will be presented with a glorious church “without spots or wrinkles“. Ephesians 5:25-27
2. In the dream, we are both about to act as witnesses of a murder case.
Although my mind wasn’t thinking about Jesus or any particular murder case during the dream, I believe the murder doesn’t refer to any secular case but rather, the murder of Jesus Christ on the cross.
The bible reveals that Jesus’s death on the cross was a case of murder even though He willingly laid down His life as a ransom to redeem us from our sins. Jesus was murdered and raised from the dead three days after, as witnessed by many who saw with their own eyes these historical events which confirm the divinity of Christ who came as a man to dwell with mankind on earth about 2000 years ago.
And we are witnesses of all things which He did both in the land of the Jews and in Jerusalem, whom they killed by hanging on a tree. Him God raised up on the third day, and showed Him openly, not to all the people, but to witnesses chosen before by God, even to us who ate and drank with Him after He arose from the dead. And He commanded us to preach to the people, and to testify that it is He who was ordained by God to be Judge of the living and the dead. To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”
Acts 10:39-43 NKJV
Today, all those who have personal relationship with Jesus Christ are called to be witnesses of his death and resurrection, for our salvation is based on what we confess before man that which we believe in our hearts the death and resurrection of Christ.
But what does it say? “The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith which we preach): that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Romans 10:8-10 NKJV
We are called to confess, or make a public confession before man, of what we believe in our heart that Christ was killed and was raised from the dead. This isn’t just a one time confession when we first believed but ongoing confessions as we become witnesses for Christ.
3. The setting of the dream isn’t in court or in church but in a secular workplace. We are called to be witnesses for Christ wherever God places us in the world.
4. The devil doesn’t mind us talk about religions as long as we keep our faith in Christ to ourselves, as long as we don’t mention His death and resurrection. Our enemy has a list of tactics to keep us from being witnesses for Christ and on top of the list is intimidation. In some places, intimidation is psychological but in many countries, followers of Christ face persecutions, jail sentences and even deaths just by confessing Christ publicly.
5. The other tactics to keep us from being witnesses for Christ, amongst others, is distraction.
The lady sitting on the left, I believe, speaks of someone who is familiar with us, someone whom we are comfortable being with. She represents someone who is close to us, who is very friendly with us, who makes us feel safe and stay comfortably sitting on the armchair.
Some people who are close to us don’t want to see us change for Christ. Before I became a Christian, I used to have a good Muslim friend and a good Buddhist friend. After I told my Muslim friend that I had become a Christian, he immediately told me he couldn’t be friend with me anymore. The Buddhist friend also distanced himself from me since I told him I became a Christian. In order to maintain such friendships, you have to not talk about Jesus, or they will walk away from you, unless of course, they become believers themselves. Know that it is not a natural phenomenon but a spiritual thing. The bible tells us that believers and unbelievers don’t have fellowship with each other. You can maintain contact with them but it isn’t possible to have fellowship with unbelievers. II Corinthians 6:14-15
Beware of people who used to walk with Christ but no longer doing so. When you hold on to their friendships, sooner or later you will be influenced by them to join their ways of life, and move away from Christ. You have to make a decision, do you want to stay with your backsliding friends or do you want to follow Christ?
The person on the right, I believe, isn’t our friend but he represents someone who occupies our space and time. In the dream, because both sides of the sofa armrests are being occupied, there was no room for me to try to sit next to the girl to talk to her in private.
6. I say to the girl: “Stay calm and just tell the truth as it is”. When we are being intimidated and face possible persecutions, especially as the endtimes draws near, we must not loose our testimony but remain calm, knowing that the Holy Spirit will give us the words to speak. As witnesses for Christ, our job is to speak the truth as it is, nothing more and nothing less. In order to speak the truth, it goes without saying that we must know what the truth concerning Christ is.
7. On the personal level, the girl gets out of the sofa to speak to me. She moves away from her distractions and comfort zone so she can speak to me. Not only that, she starts off speaking few sentences in English before continuing her conversation in Cantonese. It is a prophetic gesture, I believe, which will be revealed over time.